Roll of Honour

Over the four years that I have been working on the listings of Lewis-born casualties from the Great War, I have reached the conclusion that Loyal Lewis Roll of Honour 1914-1918 is a valuable document; but not as reliable as made out by some. Another example emerged today, in the shape of the information on Robert Stewart, late of 4 Scotland Street, Stornoway. His date of death is listed as 16 February 1915; but all the available information points to a Robert Stewart who died of wounds on 24 November 1914. I could publish a list of discrepancies between the Roll of Honour and my findings, but that would not serve much useful purpose. Neither am I claiming that my publication, Faces from the Lewis War Memorial, is devoid of errors. I would like to think though that I am working to eliminate as many errors as possible using whatever sources come to hand.

Private ROBERT STEWART
Last address in Lewis: 4 Scotland Street, Stornoway
Brother of Mrs. Annie MacKay, of 82, North Watson St., Glasgow. Son of Alexander and Christina Stewart of 2 Holm or Garden Road, Stornoway
Service unit: 1st Seaforth Highlanders
Service number: 3/7057
Date of death: 24 November 1914 at the age of 18
Died of wounds
Local memorial: Lewis War Memorial; Nicolson WW1 memorial, right panel
Was called up at the start of the war.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen from aloft

Lady Matheson gives away some land

Remembering the Fallen of the Second World War - 1939