How things are in the Lews (II part 1)

Glasgow Herald, 3 August 1867

I have just received an alarming piece of intelligence. When last in the Lews, a gentleman pointed out to me a hill overlooking Stornoway where a man had been hanged, the only execution, he said, that had taken place in the island. I have received information that another execution is now contemplated - that the people of the Lews, being justly indignant with me for describing the state of things amongst them, intend to gibbet me on my next visit, unless I recant. The minister of the UP Church is to head the procession, because I said that his church, as yet, was small; the Established Church clergy are to join the grim procession, because I said they had little left to do; the inhabitants are to contribute a car, because I made reference to the mud cabins, the naked children, and the women carrying the men upon their backs; the bankers and merchants are to supply the noose; and the Free Church has kindly undertaken to provide the gibbet.

To be continued

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallen from aloft

Lady Matheson gives away some land

Remembering the Fallen of the Second World War - 1939